Five Tips to Stay Fit on Vacation
It’s that time of year again. The days are long and the kids are out of school. Get ready to hit the road for the annual family vacation! If you’re worrying about missing a few workouts due to all the family fun, don’t. Just follow these simple tips and you can stay fit and healthy no matter how far you are from the gym.
1. Pound the Pavement – Skip the taxis and subways. Most cities are easy to navigate by foot or bicycle. Plan your routes ahead of time to get the most out of your day, or just meander around and take in the sights. Either way, you’ll be having a great time while you’re burning calories.
2. Rise and Shine – That snooze button can be quite tempting, especially when you’re trying to get away from it all. Fight the urge to sleep in! Once the day gets started, it can be difficult to find the time to exercise. If you hit the gym early in the morning, you can grab a workout while your family is still grabbing some Z’s.
3. Plan Ahead – Check online or call ahead to make sure that the hotel where you’ll be staying has a well-equipped gym. Having a good gym, easily accessible will remove at least one excuse to skip your workouts while you’re away from home. If it doesn’t, try a hotel room workout like this one.
4. Don’t Just Sit There – If you’re traveling long distances this summer, chances are you’ll be spending some time in cramped quarters. Sitting for long periods of time in planes and cars can lead to stiffness, and swelling. Make sure that you get up and move around once every thirty minutes or so, as long as it’s safe to leave your seat.
5. Everything in Moderation – You’re on vacation, live it up! Go ahead and eat something greasy. Just limit your calorie splurge to one meal per day. If you stay green and healthy for breakfast and lunch, there’s no reason why you can’t have some pizza for dinner.
So go forth, explore, and have fun! Enjoy the company of your family and friends, and stay fit and active wherever you roam, and don’t forget to pack some NuGo Family bars.