6 Steps to Get Your Man to Have a Health Checkup
Celebrate Men’s Health Month by using these tips to encourage the men in your life to get a checkup. According to the CDC, “Women are 100% more likely to visit the doctor for annual examinations and preventative services than men.” Just like cars, men also need regular tune-ups.
1. Share the facts. View the recommended men’s checkup schedule for his age. Remind him that routine checkups are essential to preventing and treating diseases. Catching problems in the early stages leads to the best outcomes. It is important for the doctor to know about your family’s medical history.
2. Encourage him. Now that he has had some time to think about the idea of getting a checkup, gently encourage him. Listen to his concerns and be understanding so he feels supported. Do not threaten or nag.
3. Ask him to go as a gift to you. Tell him how much you value him and want him to be in your life for a very long time. You want him to be there for your kids and to see his future grandkids one day.
4. Find a good doctor. If he doesn’t like his current doctor, help him find a new one. Read reviews and ask friends for recommendations.
5. Schedule an appointment. You can offer to schedule the appointment for him or leave a note reminding him to do it.
6. Offer to go with him. Do whatever he is most comfortable – going alone, going with you, or bringing a friend.
Be patient as you follow these steps. Even if it takes months to get him to go to the doctor, you have still succeeded in your goal!