I think I speak for everyone in saying that we would like to feel vital and energetic throughout the day. Eating, in general, is one step to feeling this way. Yet, so many of us skip meals or eliminate snacks because we think we are too busy to eat, or because we think it will help us lose a few pounds. In doing so, we do ourselves a disservice.
Food is to the body and mind as gasoline is to a car - fuel. Without it, performance and wellbeing will suffer - physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Consider these five Eat to Energize strategies:
1. Eat something every three to four hours throughout the day. Foods like high protein bars should give your body the fuel it needs to perform optimally.
2. Choose small meals and snacks over large meals.
Large meals take more energy to digest, leaving us feeling zapped. Instead, savor small meals that leave you satisfied (not stuffed), and also light and energized. Your stomach is only the size of your fist.
3. Combine lean protein, complex carbs and fiber in your meals and snacks. In combination, these nutrients provide sustainable long lasting energy, and prevent sharp fluctuations in blood sugar.
A few ideas:
- Whole grain crackers and cheese
- High protein snack bars
- Cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit
- Tuna or a hard cooked egg with whole grain crackers or bread
- Peanut or soynut butter spread on fruit, celery sticks or graham crackers
- Mixed greens salad topped with beans, tuna or turkey breast
4. Choose foods that are ALIVE.
What is more alive, a potato chip or a bright red apple? Fresh greens or limp lettuce? “Alive” foods are fresh, filling, and free of preservatives. They also generally discourage overeating. “Dead” foods are overly processed and filled with preservatives. They may stimulate overeating.
5. Drink water.
An early morning or mid afternoon soda or coffee beverage might offer a quick burst of energy. But watch out, it will be followed by an equally quick “crash.” Instead, drink water. Water does more than hydrate. An excellent energizer, it moistens skin, helps rid the body of waste, and keeps the mind clear.
For an energizing and easy-to-carry snack, NuGo bars are a great high protein snack choice. With eight great lines to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect bar for you. If you want or need a snack to be low sugar NuGo Slim bars offer 15-17g protein and 7g fiber with only 2-3g sugar; for high fiber curbing hunger and healthy regularity Fiber d’Lish bars provide 12g all-natural dietary fiber per serving and for the ultimate healthy, gourmet snack try NuGo Dark bars.