All over the world, people are looking for ways every day to get that extra burst of energy. And why not? Increasingly, life means maintaining a balance between life and work that leaves little time for rest or relaxation. We rush from one task to the next trying to check another item off the to-do list. Then, to fuel all the activities, many are willing to pay for artificial energy in the form of caffeinated sodas, Red Bull, and 5-hour energy shots. These sources, however, are full of sugar that causes short burst of energy followed by fatigue and sluggishness. Check out these astonishing pictures to see just how much sugar is in our drinks!
Fortunately, there are nutritious ways to get the energy boost you need to get through your day. Focusing on nutrition and diet might seem like another undertaking for which there just isn’t enough time in the day. In reality though, nutrition can work with your body to fuel everything else that we take on in our lives.
According to the website Web MD, different foods can boost energy through the calories they provide and also by allowing metabolism to work more efficiently. So what are some of these energy star foods?
1. Fiber: The fiber found in smart carbohydrates such as whole grains that are digested slowly and act as a steady source of energy. It is important to avoid sweet foods which actually lead to fatigue. Interested in incorporating more fiber into your diet? Check out the Whole Grains Council for tips on eating whole grains at every meal.
2. Nuts: Nuts are rich in protein, and they contain magnesium, which is an important mineral for converting sugar into energy.
3. Leafy Greens: Good examples are spinach, kale, and arugula. All of these contain vitamins C and A, which also help boost energy levels and contain folate which is proven to fight symptoms of depression.
4. Lean Meats: Chicken, turkey, and fish contain tyrosine an amino acid which fights fatigue throughout the day. They also have high amounts of iron and B-vitamins which strengthen muscles for long-term endurance.
5. Fresh Produce: Fruits and vegetables are great sources of the vitamins and minerals that increase metabolism efficiency. The fruit sugar glucose is turned into energy quickly providing a more immediate sense of alertness.
6. Dark Chocolate: Theobromine is a chemical compound found only in chocolate that is similar to caffeine, but provides a more stable energy boost. It lasts longer throughout the day, and won’t leave you with a crashed feeling afterwards.
Combining these elements can create a perfect snack for fueling a long day of work and other activities. NuGO Slim is great for an afternoon snack because it combines high protein, high fiber, and REAL dark chocolate that will keep you alert all day long.
For more energy-boosting tips and tricks, check out the rest of this article at Web MD.