Try this new gluten-free, vegan recipe for avocado brownies with coconut topping! NuGo Slim Toasted Coconut vegan protein bars were the perfect topping to these vegan avocado brownies. Besides being absolutely delicious, they are protein and fiber-rich, low sugar, vegan, and gluten-free! Just one of these tasty NuGo Slim Toasted Coconut low sugar protein bars, coated in real dark chocolate, provides:
- Under 200 calories
- 7 grams of dietary fiber
- 16 grams of protein
- Only 3 grams of sugar and only 5 grams of net carbs thanks to the high fiber content!
- A very low glycemic index of 29
For this vegan avocado brownie recipe, substitute flax eggs for regular large eggs, gluten-free flour instead of whole wheat flour, and cacao nibs for the semi-sweet chocolate chips. I have tried almond flour and chickpea flour in the past, but the flour blend that came out with the best result was the Bob's Red Mill version. Both the All Purpose flour and 1:1 Baking flour have come out perfectly.
- 2 medium, ripe avocados skin and pit removed (halve the avocado and scoop out with a spoon)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raw granulated sugar
- 2 flax eggs replacement*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour blend (I used 1:1 baking mix by Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs or vegan chocolate
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 NuGo Slim Toasted Coconut bars, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded coconut flakes, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set aside a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, maple syrup, and sugar. Blend well. Then add the flax eggs and vanilla extract. Mix well so that all of the ingredients are blended together. Make sure to scrape the sides for any remnants.
- Gently add in the flour, baking soda, salt, chia seeds, and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Turn off the processor and remove the blade. Stir in the cacao nibs using a spoon or spatula.
- Spread the batter into the pan evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done. Test the middle of the batter with a knife or toothpick to make sure nothing sticks.
- Remove from heat and top with the NuGo Slim Toasted Coconut bars and coconut flakes for topping.
- Let cool before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
*The flax egg replacement uses a 1:3 ratio for flax meal to water. For each egg, whisk together 1 tablespoon flax meal and 3 tablespoons water. For this recipe you will need 2 tablespoons flax meal and 6 tablespoons water.