Chances are if you are a cancer survivor you have heard the importance of following a plant-based diet and limiting intake of red and processed meats. According to the American Institute of Cancer Research, “plant foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains and beans contain a variety of cancer fighters including vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytochemicals.” Typically the more plants you eat, the less processed and unhealthy food you eat. Here are a few simple tips to eating more plants!
- Start your day off with fruit. Add berries to your whole grain cereal or even try a fruit smoothie.
- Sauté spinach, peppers and onions into scrambled eggs or make a vegetable frittata.
- Pump up the veggies at lunch. In your sandwich, try roasted red peppers, caramelized onions or sliced cucumbers. Swap vegetables and dip instead of chips or if you are really craving that salty crunch try snap pea crisps which are made from peas. They are rich in fiber and protein and taste great!
- At lunch add fruit and or nuts to your salad to jazz it up. Try berries, apples, peaches or even watermelon on your greens. A few teaspoons of crushed nuts can go a long way and give a good savory crunch.
- Make a wrap with hummus and tabbouleh instead of lunch meat.
- Instead of grabbing a cookie at your 3PM pick me up snack try whole grain crackers or whole grain bread with nut butter. The fiber, protein and healthy fat combination will hold you over until dinner.
- Replace meat with vegetables at dinner; grill a portabella mushroom instead of traditional beef burger.
- Cut down on meat in recipes and replace with beans. For chili use less ground meat and more beans.
- Make zoodles. Using a spiralizer transforms your zucchini into a pasta-like consistency and use as you would spaghetti.
- Banana ice cream – My favorite dessert by far! Slice and freeze a ripe banana. To make, blend the banana with a little bit of milk and add a nut butter or cocoa to really make things exciting!
Once you start shifting towards a plant-based diet you will feel better and also help your body to fight cancer. Take control of nutrition because only you can control what you eat!