Considering warm temperatures and the plentiful harvest, one would think that summertime encourages the healthiest snacking habits of the year. This certainly can be the case, but more often than not, unpredictable and unstructured summer schedules can make it difficult to stick with a healthy routine, especially for kids. Plus, with vacations, road trips, and camping trips during the summer months, we often give ourselves permission to indulge a little bit more than normal. Make this the summer to stay on track with healthy lifestyle behaviors. Spend your days feeling fit and energized with these top ten summer snacks packed with protein, fiber and healthy carbs.
1. Pre-cut fresh raw veggies served with guacamole - pepper slices, carrot sticks, sugar snap peas and cherry tomatoes, just to name a few
2. Fresh fruit – berries of all types, sliced apples, peaches, plums and kiwi. The list could go on and on
3. Unsalted roasted almonds – easily transportable, and even better mixed with raisins or another dried fruit
4. Cheese sticks or slices atop whole grain crackers – a classic snack
5. Whole wheat pita spread with hummus – a perfect combination of protein, fiber, and healthy carbs
6. Plain popcorn – pop it yourself and divide into portion-sized bags for a filling and high-fiber grab-and-go snack
7. Frozen yogurt – in stick or container form, frozen yogurt is a healthy snack especially on a hot summer day
8. Kale chips – for a healthy snack with some crunch leave the tortilla chips at home, bring the kale chips instead.
9. NuGo Fiber d’Lish – high in fiber and low in calories, these satisfying bars make a great healthy snack during an afternoon of activities.
10. Trail mix – fun to make and even more fun to eat. Make your own including a whole grain cereal unsalted nuts, dried fruit, seeds, and carob or chocolate chips.
Summertime Snack Tips:
• Choose simple and fresh first!
• Pre-portion snacks into single-serving bags or containers to prevent over-snacking.
• Don’t risk food-borne illness. Keep chilled foods chilled.
• Choose calorie-free beverages such as seltzer water, or ice water with orange or cucumber slices. Don’t get stuck in a junk food rut this summer.
With a few extra minutes of planning, you can keep your healthy snacking habits front and center all summer long.