This gluten-free and low carb chickpea salad recipe makes a great fiber-packed, vegan alternative to egg, tuna, or chicken salad. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are a nutritional powerhouse. They are most commonly recognized in the form of hummus. However, they are a versatile legume that can be used in many creative ways. Chickpeas are extremely high in fiber, at 6 grams per 1/2 cup, that's hard to beat. Fiber is linked to decreased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.
Yield: Makes 5 servings, approximately ¼ cup each
- 1, 15 oz can Chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 T reduced fat Vegenaise
- 1 T Dijon Mustard
- 1 T fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Red Onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Celery, chopped
- Lettuce of choice, romaine pictured
- Veggies of choice, such as cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, etc.
- In a blender or food processor combine the chickpeas, vegenaise, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pulse until smooth, but not completely pureed, leave some pieces of chickpea intact.
- In mixing bowl add in celery and red onion, stir until well combined.
- Serve on top of your choice of lettuce with desired veggies, such as cucumbers, bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, etc. Drizzle salad with additional lemon juice if desired.
110 Calories, 3.4 g Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 341.2 mg Sodium, 217.7 mg Potassium, 16.4 g Carbohydrate, 4.3 g Fiber, 3.8 g Sugar, 5 g Protein