Use fresh sweet corn to make this flavorful summer corn chowder. This easy gluten-free, vegan recipe is ready in less than one hour. We used almond milk as the creamy vegan base.
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn, removed from the cob and cobs reserved for the stock
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups Almond Milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrots chopped
- 1 cup potatoes, diced
- 1 sprig fresh parsley & basil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- While preheating oven to 475º, remove the corn from the cob. (Be sure to save the stalks for use in the stock.)
- On a baking sheet, toss the corn kernels with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes or until the corn begins to caramelize in spots.
- Meanwhile, combine the corncobs (stalks) into a large pot with 4 cups almond milk and 1 cup vegetable broth. After bringing to a boil, simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Melt the olive oil in a soup pot over high heat and add in the onion and red pepper; sauté for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add in the carrots and potatoes, season the mixture with salt and pepper, and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove the corncobs from the stock and pour the stock in with the vegetables. Add in the corn, remaining 2 cups almond milk, 1 cup vegetable broth, parsley, basil, and cayenne pepper. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve it warm for a light summer dinner, paired with your favorite vegan NuGo bar for dessert.
This recipe was modified from Fashionable Foods.