Do you want a dish that hydrates, restores energy, and satisfies hunger? Try this gluten-free recipe for a dark chocolate cherry vegan smoothie bowl.
I fell in love with NuGo Nutrition bars this year when I moved to Boulder. Just last month, I used NuGo Slim Crunchy Peanut Butter as a topping for various desserts, including my vegan PB&J Chia Pudding. NuGo Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip in my opinion is the most versatile flavor of the other versions. Thanks to its subtle sweetness, I can eat it alone, add in my yogurt, and yes, top on my smoothie bowls. This is the ideal snack for a late afternoon or post workout. Whether I am training for my next running event or lifting weights at the gym, these bars pack in the nutrients I need to restore energy. The real dark chocolate coating makes it a perfect combination of a snack and dessert in one!
More reasons why I love NuGo Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip:
- Packed with 10 grams of protein
- 200 calories or less making it a great pre- or post-workout snack!
- Vegan and Gluten-free
- Rich in antioxidants from real dark chocolate
Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Bowl Recipe
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other vegan milk of your choice)
- 1 cup frozen, pitted cherries (or 3/4 cup if fresh)
- 1 medium banana, chopped
- 1 tablespoon nut or seed butter, unsalted preferred
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt, optional to thicken
- Additional ice cubes to thicken, optional
- 1 NuGo Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip bar, chopped (for topping)
- Additional topping choices: unsweetened shredded coconut, nuts, cherries, sliced bananas
- In a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the toppings. Cover and blend until a smooth and thick consistency is achieved. Add additional ice cubes to thicken if necessary.
- Slowly transfer the smoothie mixture into a bowl and fill to the rim. Add the NuGo bar topping and additional toppings (about 1/4 cup each) of your choice.
- Serve cold with a spoon and enjoy!