Celiac Awareness Month is the perfect time to share updated celiac disease statistics. While celiac awareness continues to spread, unfortunately less than 20% of people with celiac disease are diagnosed. A 100% gluten-free diet is the only treatment for celiac disease. Before trying a gluten-free diet, talk to your doctor to get tested for celiac disease. Luckily, there are many safe certified gluten-free foods, including NuGo gluten-free protein bars and cookies.
- One in 133 Americans have celiac disease.
- More than half of adults with celiac disease have signs and symptoms that are not related to the digestive system.
- 83% of Americans who have celiac disease are undiagnosed or misdiagnosed.
- First-degree relatives of a person with celiac disease have a 1 in 22 chance of developing the disease.
- 32% of restaurant foods labeled gluten-free contain gluten.