This low fat, vegan and gluten-free winter soup is perfect to warm you up on a cold day. Enjoy it for Meatless Monday or any time you are looking for a high-fiber soup recipe that is packed with protein. You can even freeze the soup and thaw overnight in the refrigerator for a flavorful and quick meatless lunch or dinner. As a side or dessert, enjoy NuGo Dark gluten-free and vegan protein bars.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked gluten-free pasta
- 1 bunch spinach, coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Add broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and spinach. Return to a boil; cook 12-14 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add chickpeas; heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary.
This recipe was modified from Taste of Home White Bean Soup with Escarole.