Love pesto, but wish enjoying it didn’t always have to mean a big plate of pasta? This far lower calorie, higher-fiber, low carb, and gluten-free alternative will be filling, nourishing and diet-friendly!
For this easy recipe, you can use store-bought pesto or make your own. It’s a quick, delicious sauce in the food processor, and the fresh flavor will amaze you!
- 2 cups or bunches fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts/walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan (vegans can swap this for nutritional yeast)
- approx. 1/2 cup olive oil
For the Cauliflower:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Pesto sauce (1/3 cup, if store-bought)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or 1 tbsp if using your fresh pesto)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prep a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If making your own pesto, add the ingredients to a food processor except for the olive oil.
- Process the ingredients until all are finely chopped, scrape the sides down.
- Slowly pour in your olive oil whilst blending until the pesto is a thick paste.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add pesto and olive oil to the cauliflower and mix well with a spoon or your hands.
- Spread the cauliflower out on the baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 30-40 minutes until browned, turn the pieces over mid-way through!
- Enjoy with salad, fresh fish or grilled meat, chopped into tuna salads or chicken salad, or dipped into guacamole!